.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

It's All Come Down To This.


I wrote a poem about the Green Bay Packers 1997 Super Bowl run for my 2nd grade class. Today, it proudly hangs in my bedroom in a frame. I read it every once in awhile reflecting on how special that season was for my childhood. I watched the game with my parents and 4 year old sister.  No one else around us, just the family. It's how we wanted and how we still do it with playoff games. I mean no disrespect to anyone, but I can't be around people who don't focus on the game. I need people who are as dialed in as me. My whole family is invested in the Packers' success.

I also remember the 1998 Super Bowl how I cried in my room for a good 10 minutes afterwards. I thought the Packers were invincible and people made it seem like John Elway choked away big game situations. I thought the Packers would steamroll the Broncos, oh how wrong I was. I hated Elway from that day forward and still feel ill-will when I hear "This one... for John."  Looking back on it, I can never forgive Mike Holmgren for playing prevent defense for the Broncos' final drive.

After the Packers lost last season, I felt sick. I explained to my dad,"I am unlike you because there are 80 things you have to worry about each day, I have like five, the Packers being one of them, it hurts."  I believe a lot of 18 to 25 year olds feel that way, and care so much that a loss will cripple them for a couple days or weeks if it's a horrible one like Big Ben winning the game in under 2 minutes. When they win, it puts you in a better mood and everything in life seems easy.  I am not sure if many fan bases can say that about their football team. People bleed green and gold all over the United States and around the world. I hope that all the Packer fans who are overseas are able to watch their team try to bring back the Lombari Trophy to its rightful owner.

As for the game, I feel strangely confident for this one more than I have in the past five weeks. I hate myself for saying that but it's true. Maurkice Pouncey not being able to play will affect this game more than anything else. The center position is very important on the football field and when going up against B.J. Raji, it could be a nightmare for the Steelers. The other thing, the Steelers cornerbacks aren't special. Bryant McFadden plays off, which will allow for the quick plays like slants and screens from the wide receivers. All I ask is if the Packers have a chance to step on the Steelers' throat, do it. If they give Ben Roethlisberger extra chances, they will lose... simple as that. I like the Packers to win 31-21 

Remember, just like last week.. Win or lose, this has been one of a hell ride and I'm glad to be a part of it.  Go Pack Go.

-Charlie.