.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Friday, February 4, 2011

2. Figuring Out Football Announcers

I have no idea if this will be a weekly thing, or just a one time gig. Honestly, I am out of ideas for the Super Bowl  XLV because every topic has been hit over the head countless times. I decided that we discuss a topic that most football fans talk about... announcers.  This is my list, your list could be completely different, and I would love to hear it. Comment, tweet me (@ctritschler), or hop on Facebook and like Sports News On Tap to write your list.



THE HOWARD COSELL DIVISION
1.) Brent Musburger: You are looking live here on SNO TAP!  Musberger is an institution. He has been one of the staples of my sports fandom hearing him on Saturday afternoons and nights. Musberger does a great job each week despite his age.  He shows great emotion and acts like he cares about each game.

2.) Al Michaels: Another guy who has always been in my life. He started with Monday Night Football carrying the broadcast, and now does a hell of a job on Sunday Night. I am in the minority who absolutely love Cris Collinsworth. I think Michaels works well with him.

3.) Thom Brennaman: I didn't like him as much in college football, but in the NFL, he is definitely underrated. I love his work with Brian Billick. They seem to work very well with each other and have taken over the two spot with the FOX family.

4.) Brad Nessler: I had to leave Mike Trico off the list for this guy as Jon Gruden would say. Nessler is waiting in the wings to take over Musburger's top spot at ABC with college football.  He does a great job telling the story of the game, and getting pumped at the right times.

5.) Gus Johnson: Were you worried I might miss Gus?!  He will be number one in basketball, but Johnson still needs work at his craft in football. The other problem with Gus is he never gets a good color guy with him. I hope CBS gives him more of a chance.

JOE THEISMANN DIVISION
1.) Greg Gumbel and Dan Dierdorf: I had to put these guys together because it's like listening Beavis and Butthead in the booth. They both step on each other toes, and say a bunch of stupid stuff. It's a mystery that CBS has them as their second best announcing crew.

2.) Moose Johnston, and The Goose: Kenny Albert is alright, but man, he works with two idiots. Moose doesn't know what city he is in half of the time due to multiple concussions and Goose is brought in for comic relief but you know what? The guy is actually knowledgeable! He was on Dan Patrick's Radio Show a couple times, and knew his shit. He has now built this persona that he will never escape from.

3.) Jon Gruden and Ron Jaworsk3i: I don't really hate Jaws/Gruden, it's just they are too positive. I need some damn negativity.  Be critical of these guys. My respect for Gruden went out the window when he had the chance to rip the Raiders and decided against it at the draft. He is too nice, toughen up!

4.) Ron Pitts: Somehow Mr. Pitts still has a job with FOX. He has been there maybe a decade now and originally was a color guy, now play-by-play. He gets the worst games, but still he is a bear to listen to. Just give me a job already!

5.) Jim Nantz: Here's the thing with Nantz, he is awesome for golf. The best person out there that could do golf, but isn't that a clear sign that maybe he isn't made for play-by-play of NFL Football?  Simms isn't much better who defends every quarterback.  Nantz needs to just enjoy golf, but I will not give up the chance to be CBS' figurehead.

-Charlie.