.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Put Up or Shut Up For Rex Ryan

Rex looks like he is asking for a GD snack
I am big Rex Ryan fan.  I liked the way he conducted his team during the Hard Knocks special on HBO on the New York Jets. I also enjoy the opposite of Ryan in Bill Belichick.  I respect how smart of a coach he is and who knows if there will be another like him.  Therefore setting the scene for Sunday afternoon's AFC East battle between the Jets and the New England Patriots is the head coaches, not the players.

 Ryan gives Belichick his deserved credit. He always gushes over the Grand Master Hoodie like a young brother looks up to his old brother. Despite the love and affection, he still bashes his star player Tom Brady.  The Jets want to take throne from the Patriots, there is no doubt about that, and the first step would be to win this weekend.



I like that Ryan defends and loves his team.  Ryan tries to make it about himself and not his players therefore when the Jets lose, the media bashes him instead of guys like Mark Sanchez or Darrelle Revis. But it boggles my mind why he still takes shots at Brady and Belichick?  Here's what Ryan said via ESPN
 "This is about Bill Belichick versus Rex Ryan," Ryan said, addressing the upcoming showdown in Foxborough, Mass., for the first time. "There's no question, it's personal. It's about him against myself. That's what it's going to come down to."
Ryan also added that the players and assistant coaches are even in this battle. Which I don't think is entirely true as two evenly-matched teams do not have 45-3 results. Now, the Jets head back into the Foxborough with a chip on their shoulder, but will that be enough? If I am Jets fan, I worry that Ryan will overthink himself trying to 'beat' Belichick and forget key aspects of his game plan. I will talk more about the game on Saturday when I give my predictions for the weekend.   

I like the saying 'dont poke the bear'. Ryan is poking the favorite bear in the Pats, and who knows if you will incite a riot because of your choice words. If Ryan loses this one, the shit talk to Brady and Belichick has to stop.  Once Ryan takes down the Pats when it matters the most or finds himself in a Super Bowl, he can talk a little more. But right now, he is just a smart defensive mind that I would like to have a beer with, nothing more, nothing else.

-Charlie.